Thursday, March 18, 2010

'Dem Bones, 'Dem Bones...

I lost my camera. So, for now all posts are unaccompanied by photographic evidence. You still believe me, right? This picture is from the Spring right after we moved in - a year ago.

We're clearing out a lot of the junk that has been accumulating in our yard. We have this old shed/barn that we're renovating. The goats live in the basement right now. The upstairs is the husband's shop. The shop now smells like goats. All the stuff he's torn out of the shed is outside. It's like Sanford and Son over here.
While clearing out that pile, we have discovered some bones. The husband thinks their cat bones. I have no idea what they are. I found a really interesting site that will let me and the kids sit down and attempt to identify them. Right now, because I worry about weird germs, am cleaning the bones. If you have never cleaned bones before, first, just soak them in water. When all the debris is off - if there's meat or fat left on them, then soak them in hydrogen peroxide. This will whiten them. Do Not bleach them. This is more information about bones that I ever thought I'd know.

This is a perfect opportunity to teach my children about anatomy and physiology. A little archaeology and excavation. It is perfect education.


March 28, 2010 - Here are the pictures of the skull bones we found out back. Any ideas?

No comments: