Sunday, January 17, 2010

Swordfish...nah.

I have decided that my family needs to eat more fish. Wait, what is that banging upstairs when the children should be sleeping!? I think it stopped.

Anyway, back to fish. We are gross carnivores. Not just the regular kind. We love greasy meat from swine. We love the 80% lean meat...not the 93% variety. My husband does not like fish and I do not like shellfish. My kids like tuna, from a can, and fish sticks. I made seared tuna a couple weeks ago. The husband ate it. Probably because he was hungry and wanted something besides a salad. Tonight, I decided to go with swordfish. It's not that "fishy", like haddock or salmon. It's more steak-like, without being anything like steak.

I decided to make Swordfish a la Siciliana.

Ingredients
3 ounces raisins
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
two vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
10 Picholine olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup capers
2 pounds swordfish steaks
pinch of salt

Directions
Soak raisins in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in raisins, tomatoes, olives and capers. Cover pan and cook for 15 minutes.
Season the steaks with salt. Place in a lightly oiled baking dish and cover with the cooked sauce. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until steaks are firm.

The original recipe calls for pine nuts and pepper. We have nut allergies, so I omitted the nuts. I also didn't add pepper because I'm tired of adding pepper to things.

I loved the dish. The colors were beautiful. It was absolutely delicious. The sweetness of the raisins was balanced out by the flavorful Picholine olives and capers. I think next time I make this I'll omit the swordfish and put the mixture on rice or some sort of pasta. I might also increase the raisins, adding in golden ones, too. There goes my desire to eat more fish.
My kids love fruit, and I'm not a food person at all, so I paired it with black cherries. We had leftover green beans. I sprinkled them with sesame seeds so they'd look "new". I also made a red wine risotto. The risotto was easy. I followed the directions on the aborio rice container. Instead of the 3 cups of chicken stock it called for, I substituted one cup of Shiraz for one cup of chicken stock. If I had substituted all wine for stock it would have been too much, I think. It was purple and fun. Eli didn't like it. He made a face, ate the cherries and munched on the green beans. As you can see, Odin enjoyed it. Don't mind the shirtlessness of the boy, or the marker on his body. If he could be naked all the time he would be. That and tattooed.

No comments: