Sunday, January 17, 2010

Crockpot Yogurt

Almost a year ago I tried making yogurt in my crockpot. Thanks to Stephanie at A Year of Slow Cooking, I was able to do it successfully. The first try yielded liquid. I don't think I kept it warm enough. The second time was awesome. I came downstairs after the crock sat all night and when I opened the lid I literally screamed I was so excited (picture on the left). I tried it a couple more times but couldn't master adding any sort of flavor. I like to try thing simply to do them. Once it's been done, I'm over it. I haven't made yogurt since. It's simply easier and cheaper to buy it. (To the right: straining the yogurt to make it more of a Greek consistency)

It's definitely healthier to make it on your own, but we just don't eat that much yogurt to make so much of it. I suppose I could make small batches... I think I might do just that. I had forgotten all about this until last night when I took a trip down memory lane via all the pictures I have stored on my computer. (To the left: pouring out the whey. mmm. whey...) They leftover whey can be used in bread making as a replacement for the water. I'd use a 1:1 substitution. It can also be consumed as buttermilk would, but I wouldn't drink either...not so tasty in my opinion. As my baby gets older, I think I might begin to make yogurt for him. Hmmm. Now that I have begun writing, all these ideas are streaming into my brain. And I can freeze it. Der. Frozen yogurt. Why haven't I thought of these things before?


The final product... I poured honey all over it and ate it relatively quickly.

No comments: