Thursday, January 7, 2010

People Are Mean...

We're renovating our shed into this sort of "man-town" of sorts for the husband. In our quest for materials, I posted a want-ad for insulation and/or Tyvek on Craigslist.com. I got a response from some guy telling me about Freecycle. However, he didn't specify Freecycle.org. His e-mail address came up as Jamal something-or-other. I replied to him before I even thought about it...I had no idea what Freecycle was or would even think someone would try to scam me. Apparently, I think I live in a world impervious to scam artists... He responded back, his name being Jon, not Jamal, and his e-mail address was different. This is what he wrote:
Hello,
You can access all the items I'm giving away at Freecy (insert web address here
). It's a community of people who are giving and receiving free items. Let me know if you have any problems signing up.
Thanks-Jon

I was curious, so I clicked on the link and it brought me to a fake Freecycle site. I had created an account at the real Freecycle.org and my username and password did not work in the fake site. That's the only reason I know it's fake. Now, here's the question...did the fake site just steal my password and username? No big deal because it's a FREE site, so no worries. Still, it bothers me that people are that twisted. I know there are people that are even crazier, but this just made me sad. Someone took the time to read the ads on Craigslist and then e-mail who knows how many people... I just hope that it's just a money scam or something and that no one really gets hurt.

No comments: