Monday, December 5, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies

I got our recipe from Simply Recipes.  I have a tendency to try to stay away from things I have to roll out.  I have this notion that it's hard.  I know, I sound like a weenie.  Rolling out dough used to be this thing only accomplished bakers did.  I was not an accomplished baker.  So I avoided it.  Pillsbury made a fine pie crust.  And there's nothing wrong with chocolate chip cookies.  Well, now that I care about my food, Pillsbury no longer makes the cut.  And when your kids want gingerbread cookies, telling them that chocolate chip cookie shaped men are the same is not an option.  I'm getting better at it.  I can now roll out the dough less than 1/2 an inch thick.  Confidence is key, I think.  I still don't know the specifics of the whys and hows of it all.  Nor do I really care to.  I just know that this recipe worked well.  The cookies came out beautifully.  Although, they did stick to the cookie sheet.  I also used a cookie sheet I rarely use because it simply sucks, but when you've got Legos on one and Playdoh on the other, the choices are limited.  The boys inhaled the cookies.  I swear.  They were there and then they were gone.  All that was left were little voices telling me I hated them because I was obviously lying about the non-existence of any more cookies.  This is what happens when you indulge your children right before bed.  The Royal Icing came out beautifully as well.  This was just a good cookie.  Thanks, Simply Recipes.  It really was simple.





No comments: