Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dog Biscuits

Grandma, if you're reading this, perchance, go away.
Okay, now that that's dealt with...
The boys decided they'd love to make dog biscuits for grandma's new dog, Buddy.  Buddy is the sweetest Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier.  And he's 6 months old. 
I found a recipe by Googling.  I can't remember which recipe it is and I've misplaced the print out of the recipe.  Yes, I'm that organized and helpful.
We all gathered around the table and got to making the biscuits.  Measuring was off...some of the little ones don't quite understand that in order to complete the measure you've got to fill the spoon or cup...
They enjoyed kneading and stirring the dough.  They wanted to taste it...2 liked it and one just about threw up. 
Ingredients:  5-6 cups whole wheat flour, 1.5 cups chicken broth, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tbs parsley, and the rest I cannot remember. 
The recipe called for rolling out the dough to a 1/4" thick, cutting and baking for 30 minutes, then flipping them all over and baking for another 15 minutes, turning off the oven and letting them sit there overnight so they get all crispy.  Um, so we rolled out the dough to a 1/4" thick.  The kids fought over who's turn it was to cut and how many they could cut before the next child could partake.  They were baked for 30 minutes and were way crispy.  So I didn't flip them over or leave them in the oven all night. 
I'm wondering if Buddy will ever get to taste these treats.  I asked my husband, "If you had a dog and someone made him treats, would you feed them to him?"  He said, "I'd say 'thank you' very politely and mean it."  Well, that didn't answer my question.  Then he said, "Maybe."  I think that's better...
We didn't have dog bone shaped cookie cutters.  The boys also thought our Christmas cookie cutters were too big.  So, we used a biscuit cutter and a knife.  Check out these masterpieces!

Using the garlic press...Oh, look, there is yeast! 
There was yeast in the biscuits.  One more ingredient uncovered....2 tsp.


Cutting biscuits is very serious business.



Shmorgasboard of biscuits...


Mmmm...crispy.
I will totally not blame grandma if these end up in the trash.  However, I'm hopeful that she'll allow the kids to give Buddy one.

No comments: