Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Feeding a Catfish

There are moments as a mom where you reach ultimate coolness.  When they're little, everything you do is awesome to your kids.  When their friends are around, it's very crucial to time your cool moments perfectly so that everyone sees.  (I'm hoping you don't really think I do this on purpose.)
Today, we visited the Ecotarium...again.  We were invited by friends, and who can turn down an invite?  Not I.
While there we hung out on the dock in the lower pond area.  I had no idea this place existed until a few weeks ago when the boys and I were there.  However, it was closed the day we went.  Today it was open.  The boys saw fish in the murky waters.  I had crusts from sandwiches left over in my bag.  (No, that wasn't the cool part) We started feeding the fish.  Kivvers, Sunfish, Pumpkinseed fish.  Not really sure what they were called, but they're in every pond we go to.  Little Ankle Biters is what I call them. 
One kids suddenly yells, "Catfish!"
We all crane our necks to see.  A few moments later I saw it.  The only catfish I've seen is in a tank in my house when I was 8-years-old.  It was not nearly as large as this guy. 
One of the kids had his stick (they were trying to catch fish with just a stick) dangling above the water.  A catfish came over and stuck it's mouth above the water and tried to bite the stick.  I have to admit, it was a wee bit freaky.  They are not cute little fellers. 
I had an idea.  (Get ready...here it comes...) I got a piece of sandwich crust, big enough to hold and dangle in the water.  I had my camera in one hand, the crust in the other.  I dangled.  I hovered.  Then the catfish came.

Yeah, that's right.  Who's cool now?
Okay, so the kids thought I was cool for a second.  My friend and I thought I was cool for way longer.  I still think I'm cool and it's hours later and I'm blogging about it.  I hope it doesn't go to my head.

No comments: