Monday, September 7, 2009

Cucumber Pickle Spears

I got this recipe from my friend, Dawn. This is her mother's recipe. I have never tasted anything like it. I usually adjust the amount of garlic and dill depending on how I feel that day. I just shove the stuff in. The jars look really pretty with the dill springs and garlic against the walls of the jar. I give them as gifts a lot.

4 lg. pickling cukes (about 1lb.)
2 tsp. salt
3 large dill sprigs
1 garlic clove, halved
1 c white vinegar
1 c water
1/4 cup sugar

cut cukes into quarters. Place them into a bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
Drain in colander, rinse under cold water and drain well.
Pack into hot, sterilized Ball jar or whatever canning jar you prefer.
Add dill and garlic. Set aside.
Combine vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumbers in jar. Cool completely, then cover. Marinate in fridge for 5 days.
Will keep up to 6 weeks in refrigerator.

No comments: