Monday, August 31, 2009

Making Beef Salami

I had originally discovered the potential wonders of homemade salami when I visited Tammy's website. I had every intention of making her salami, but in searching for Morton's Tenderquick, I found a recipe on the Morton's site. I also found out that Morton's does not sell Tenderquick anywhere near me...not in a 50 mile radius. So, I had to order it online. The 2lb bag was $4.49. Not too bad. However, the shipping was ridiculous...$9 in shipping and $2 in handling. *sigh*

I only used 3 tsp... not sure how much meat curing I'll do. I had a hard time finding the liquid smoke, but it's only because I had no idea what it was or where to find it. It was near the gravy. I suppose that makes sense. It was only a couple of bucks at Market Basket. When I began, the husband was confused. I'm sure he heard me, but he kept saying, "WHAT are you making?"

I had to finally walk away from him.
I mixed all the ingredients together:
1 pound of ground beef
1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Few drops liquid smoke, if desired

Divide in half. Shape each half into slender rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap.Bake on broiler pan at 325 degrees F until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160 degrees F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

I didn't divide it in half, I just made it longer. And I forgot to use a broiler pan...I used a baking sheet. It was a little greasy, but I blotted and squeezed - gently - in a clean dish towel.
I sliced the salami and put it on my salad. I didn't make an antipasto, as I had planned. It was just a simple salad.
I was expecting a salami taste. It didn't have that at all. It was good, but I kept expecting a Genoa taste and it wasn't happening.


The kids didn't like it. They made faces. I was surprised that it did have a salami look to it, sort of. And the outter "shell" was hard like salami. If anything, it was an interesting process. I doubt I'll make it again. I do want to try to make traditional salami in a beef casing, hung to cure for weeks. I just have to figure out where I'll hang pounds and pounds of meat...

I also want to try the Morton's recipe for Canadian Bacon. There's nothing better than bacon...Canadian or not. Plus, I have almost 2lbs of curing salt left...mmmm, sodium nitrate. yum.

No comments: