Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Large and In Charge

Sometimes I think I do a heck of a job harvesting until I suddenly find the biggest veggies ever. I obviously didn't see these in the previous days. I discovered a pickling cuke and a zucchini that have been enjoying the suns rays for at least a few days. They are both taller than a tube of Chapstick. Goodness gracious. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with the cucumber. It's probably too seedy for the relish I'm making tonight. I think I may just pickle it and have the world's biggest pickle. My kids will like it. I have a great recipe for refrigerator pickles, but it involves cutting the cuke. I'll have to do a little research for a good pickle recipe. I'll let you know how it comes out. I already shredded and froze the zucchini, along with the others I've had in my fridge. The zucchini doesn't look that large in the picture, but it was. Even my husband gasped.We can only consume so much zucchini in a week. I made the mistake of planting too many mounds. I'm a little thankful that two of the mounds didn't grow. I'll use the zucchini for zucchini parmesan, in a stir-fry or two and in zucchini bread. The boys love zucchini bread, even knowing that zucchini is in there. They just won't eat the actual vegetable. Maybe one day...

No comments: