Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Demise of the Tomato...

Late Blight on my tomato plants


Yesterday was the day I cut down my tomato plants. Such a sad day. All recommendations say to dig up and bag the plants. I haven't done that, yet. I did cut the plants down, though. I left a couple of hopefuls up...we'll see if they turn into something worth eating. One large tomato has started to turn...hopefully it will escape unscathed. I managed to salvage some more cherry tomatoes. My garden looks pretty bare now, but I think the space will give the pumpkins room to roam. After cutting down the tomatoes I noticed some holes in the ground. Could be the chipmunks. Could be the moles my husband found living under a box one day. Could be anything by this point.


Rotten tomatoes litter my garden floor. Tomorrow I'll head out to pick up the carnage and bag it appropriately. Maybe, just maybe, the large orange-ish tomato will be orange enough to pick and ripen on my kitchen counter. Crossing my fingers...

No comments: