Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Spiderwick Chronicles!

I have been waiting to begin this series for years.  I tried two years ago and my boys just were not interested.  I tried again last year.  Nope.  I bought the box set from Amazon for a penny + shipping and handling.  We began reading the first book last night.  Score! Oh, by the way, as of today the used box set is not currently available for the super great deal I got.  I'm sure if you wait, though, it'll happen for you.  Mine also did not come in a box.  But, my boys would have just used the box for knights or ninjas or something anyway. 
I read Chapter 1 to them while they were all snuggling down in bed.  When I had finished, they wanted more.  Perfect.  We'll read Chapter 2 tonight. 
I don't know Holly Black. I do have a friend, however, that is very good friends with her.  And I like to support my friends and their friends.  I also loved The Spiderwick Chronicles movie.  My kids need to like what I like.  So, there.
I have read White Cat, a young adult novel by Holly Black.  I've got Red Glove on my nightstand waiting for me because I liked the first of the Curse Workers trilogy.  Black Heart isn't out...yet.  The only thing that bothers me about these books are the covers.  I don't like real-life people portraying a character in a book.  I like to envision the look of the characters myself without any preconceived notions about their airbrushed appearance.  It reminds me too much of Fabio gracing the covers of romance novels. 
As much as I love Dr. Seuss and Disney stories, I've been yearning to read some books with words to my children.  I made the "mistake" of beginning with picture books, which, in my opinion, doesn't really encourage reading, but looking.  I wish I had been one of those moms reading Chaucer to her infant, versus the mom with a subscription to the Disney book-of-the-month club.  At least my kids like the idea of books and enjoy listening to the spoken word...almost as much as watching Kung Fu Hustle(not rated as a kids movie, but the husband's desire to be a ninja, raising little ninjas, has taken over our parenting a bit...)

No comments: