Monday, October 5, 2009

Beef. Stew.

Beef Stew...mmmm I love a good, thick beef stew. I found this recipe in a magazine a long time ago. I can't recall which magazine, I wish I could so I could give a proper thanks.

Ingredients:

4-5 slices bacon (I used the thickest, heartiest slices I could find)
1 1/2 lb strip steak - cubed
8oz pkg. baby bellas
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tbs flour
2 c beef broth
2 carrots - sliced thinly
2 parsnips - sliced thinly
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup red wine ( I used a Pinot Noir)
1/2 lb frozen pearl onions

In a large soup pot over med-high, cook and stir bacon until crispy. Add beef and cook until seared on most sides. With slotted spoon, remove bacon and beef and put aside. Add mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook over medium high, stirring occassionally, for about 10-15 minutes. If cooking too quickly, lower the heat to medium.

Whisk tomato paste, mustard, flour and broth in a bowl and set aside.

Add wine and onions to the pot. Cook about 5 - 10 minutes.

Add tomato paste mixture. Simmer until thickened. Return beef and bacon to pot, cook another 3 minutes or until beef is cooked through.

The first time I made this, I was pregnant and I swear I got tipsy off the wine. The husband loves this. My kids run away. But, they usually run from anything that is mixed together. They, apparently, need their food to be simple and separate. They are not my children. More for us, though.









No comments: