Sunday, February 12, 2012

Psoriasis? Eczema? Leprosy???

This has nothing to do with homeschooling or being a mom of boys.  It's about ME.  Just thought I'd add in that little disclaimer. 

swollen and red hands, week 1
 Two weeks ago I developed swollen red hands and feet.  After a week, they started peeling.  Then I noticed other patches on my knees, elbows, underarms and a strip under my breasts. 

under breasts

elbow


knee

foot
They were a bit tender.  My hands were the worst.  My feet hurt to stand too long on them.  My hands were heat sensitive.  At the end of one week, my fingertips began to peel. 


one week and 4 days

knee, one week 4 days
I visited the doctor two days into the initial symptoms.  She had no idea and had to search the CDC website.  She guessed it was Parvovirus and sent me on my merry way.  One week later, I went to see a nurse practitioner and he said he had no idea, as did the doctor that was consulting.  They ran a blood test for liver dysfunction, Parvovirus and Lyme.  All came back negative.  They wouldn't see me again to run more tests.  They suggested I call a dermatologist.  I called them and they offered me the convenient and helpful appointment on the 24th of this month.  After some words, I have an appointment tomorrow.  Here's what it looks like today:


I bite my nails instead of smoking cigarettes.  I'm one of those with an oral fixation.  My fingernails are small to begin with.  However, after this whole skin peeling, swollen hands thing started, my nails have been weird.  My pinkie nail is just about gone. 
I Googled some info and found that this could all be psoriasis.  The thing that boggles my mind is, if it is, how it just comes out of nowhere and is just here...forever. 
My fingers and hands are tight.  It's uncomfortable to clench my hands and extend them.  They have cracked and bled. 
I'm hoping I can get a diagnosis and start my way onto being well again.  This all kinda stinks. 
Thanks for listening and sorry for grossing you out with photos. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Have you find out whats wrong with your skin? My fingers looks like the same. I´ve been at a dermatologist, who said it is a form of eczema, but it´s getting worse.

my3ninjas said...

Anonymous - I have found out what is wrong with my skin. I havs psoriasis. I started another blog about it so as not to interrupt this one, which is more focused on my family. You can check it out at http://gapsforpsoriasis.blogspot.com. Hope you find some relief!