Sunday, January 8, 2012

Take a Walk

The unseasonably warm weather we've been having in Massachusetts is weird.  I'm expecting a horrific summer, or terrible snow storms in April.  Darn global warming.  The earth couldn't have warmed up that fast. 
We took advantage of the 40 something degree weather today and went for a jaunt.  Not only did we wear ourselves out, we exercised, breathed fresh air, collected pine cones for bird feeders/Christmas tree decorations, collected rocks, ran races and were just together
Cesar Milan, you know, the Dog Whisperer, always reminds owners to just take their dog for a walk.  That should be extended to kids.  The boys were climbing the walls, tumbling over one another before we left.  We've been home almost an hour and they're playing so quietly and cooperatively.  Oh my, I should go knock on some wood...
I am totally famous for telling my kids to go play outside, but it's not the same as a.) going with them and b.) getting them to move.  I don't know about your kids, but mine will be wrestling and throwing one another around inside the house.  As soon as I get them outside they start doing individual activities...quietly.  They'll come back in and immediately resume their wrestling matches.  Um, so that's not what I had in mind. 
I am with my boys 24/7.  And I love it.  But it's a whole different ball game when you take them out of the house and do something that doesn't involve lists or errands or other people.  We just got to be out together. 
I don't do this nearly as often as I'd like.  The husband usually takes them on hikes into the woods so I can get stuff done around the house.  I think I'll have to schedule in times like this from now on. 


There's a collection of rocks in that sweatshirt pocket.


"I think that's Land Coral, mum."


He was in the middle of singing...



I almost died...they all actually stood still, posed and smiled...


No comments: