Monday, May 16, 2011

Butterflies

 Butterfly Pavilion (chrysalis' bottom left)

Um...a butterfly...

The boys scoping out some of the different species of butterflies.

Chrysalis'
Looking at the butterfly chart.
So very excited one landed on his finger!

Who doesn't love butterflies? Actually, I know a person who has a slight phobia. I think it's hilarious, so I tease her incessantly.
We love butterflies over here. Let's turn it into some homeschooling fun!
Read: From Caterpillar to Butterfly by Deborah Heiligman.
The Very Hungry Catepillar
Visit: The Butterfly Place
Buy: Butterfly Pavilion
Watched:  Magic School Bus - 
Bugs, Bugs, Bugs!

We read the book, ordered the pavilion, visited The Butterfly Place and watched the movie.

From Caterpillar to Butterfly is a Stage 1 book - meaning it "explains simple and easily observable science concepts for preschool and kindergarten age children."  It covers habitat; terms like metamorphosis, molting, and chrysalis, different species of butterflies and there is even a listing of butterfly observatories in the back of the book. 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar was perfect for all my kids, especially my youngest.  My kids loved reciting all the foods the caterpillar ate, especially what he ate on Saturday!

The Butterfly Place was a trek.  And halfway there my kids started telling me that they hate long car rides and they wanted to go home.  Sorry, guys...we're in it for the long haul.    
Once we got there the kids couldn't wait to get in.  My oldest was in heaven.  We had been there two years ago, but he was too young to really care.  I bought him the identification chart ($1) and off he went with his friends, searching high and low.  Odin was very interested and excited for about 20 minutes.  Then he decided he wanted to go back out into the gift shop where Magic School Bus - Bugs, Bugs, Bugs! was playing.  I had the baby in the Ergo so we walked around the gift shop for another half hour while watching the video.  Each kids' needs were met.  Excellent. 
When we got home we ordered the caterpillar's from the coupon in the pavilion kit.  It cost $5 for shipping and handling. 
They arrived about 3-4 weeks later.  There were ten alive caterpillars. 
It's been about a week and a half to two weeks and they are all in their chrysalis'.  We I carefully moved them into the pavilion.  Now, we wait. 

If you visit an observatory, you might want to take notice of their policies.  I've been to Magic Wings in Deerfield, MA and to The Butterfly Place.  Both have very strict "no touching" policies, as it can be detrimental to the butterfly's life.  My kids really wanted to catch one and it was really hard to explain to the youngers why they couldn't.  If a child is under 3 years of age, he or she needs to be attached to an adult at all times, either via carrier, stroller or hand.  The will kick you out if their policies are not adhered to. 
The coolest part of The Butterfly Place was their array of tropical and beautiful butterflies.  I didn't realize the small number of butterflies that are indigenous to the U.S. 
Also, they have these little birds walking around the place.  I can't recall their name...maybe quail...but they are the cutest things ever.  And the koi pond.  I'm pretty sure my kids wanted to go swimming with the fish, as one tried to climb over the rail.

When the butterflies hatch the pavilion will hold them in, but it is imperative to let them go.  They cannot live in the pavilion forever. 
My kids, however, would like to feed the butterflies to the chickens. 


No comments: